Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Want your dream career? Learn from your Heroes and Tune into My Radio Show

I've been working remotely these past few weeks from Southern California. Soaking up the sun and beautiful coastline views. I've been taking client appointments, writing my blog, even doing my radio show live from San Diego. It's fun to connect in person with my West Coast clients and visit with my sister (and otherwise Virtual Assistant) who lives here as well.

Besides getting a break from the cold weather of the Northeast, I've also been happily surprised by the admiration of my clients and friends at my working vacation. They are all so happy that I am "living the dream".

What's amazing is that not so many years ago, I too was saying the same to Deepak Chopra on my radio show. I remember being fascinated by a day in his life living and working in Maui. To be as inspired as he needs to be in his chosen career, it only made sense that his work location fit the task. Seeing one of my heroes go after and create what he wanted, only inspired me more to go after and get what I wanted.

--Look to your heroes. Write down of list of the 2 or 3 people you admire most and why. What qualities or accomplishments or lifestyles do your heroes have that you want?
--If they achieved, you can too. You can only admire qualities in others that you possess yourself. If your heroes achieved great things, that just means it's possible for you too.
--Learn from their mistakes too. Your heroes are only human and have had ups and downs just like everyone else. Invest some time in reading the turning points in your heroes' careers. You'll find that they've had setbacks too. Setbacks that they overcame and you can too.

I'd like to know who your heroes are. Who do you admire and why? What do you hope to achieve that your heroes have achieved? Living the dream is closer than you think.

For more inspiration and career advice, tune into my radio show, "Making a Living with Maggie", Wednesdays at 4pm EST/1pm PST on SIRIUS 112/XM 157. This week, I'm joined by self-made millionaire Christine Comaford who'll share tips form her New York Times best-selling book - Rules For Renegades: How to Make More Money, Rock Your Career and Revel in Your Individuality. I'll also have a day in the life with a top hotel concierge from The New York Palace hotel. Click here for a free three-day trial of SIRIUS so you can tune in!

2 comments:

craig said...

I am sure those sunsets are magical too. Enjoy them.

My heros...,people who risk (or risked) it all to come to America for a better life and those who truly set their 'artist' free.

From them I hope to learn to always pursue a better life (also be thankful I am American) and also to pursue my creative talents (which I am doing now as a writer)

Anonymous said...

I am looking forward to a quiet moment to sit down today and list my heroes and why. mmmmmm...this is a good one. Thank you for posting.

ShareThis